Tuesday 15 April 2014

One hour in Asia at the ITB Berlin

It was March, it was cold and the wind was blowing. I was really longing for some sunrays and nice temperatures combined with a fresh young coconut, white sandy beaches and a cosy hammock. 

In near future I am going – almost – around the world and I start in Asia. Then I can enjoy young coconuts every day (yeah!). It is very superficial spoken when you say „Asia“, because you can’t really compare one country with each other, but I am sure, they have one thing in common: the long tradition of hospitality.

So naturally I started my ITB experience with a lecture by Samantha Foster

Source: destination spa management
Samantha Foster is an expert concerning destination spa management especially in Asia. First she put out the trends we know like day spas, medical spas, resort spas. Nothing new really, but than she mentioned the spa real estate. A huge trend, of course for those who can afford it, and that really wowed me. Having your own appartement combined with modern architecture and with all the amenities of a resort spa like cafés  or wellness centres – it is like being on holiday all year round. On the one side I can really feel the positive effects of such an „oasis“ due to the daily stress level we endure during every day work. You need a place where you can take your mind off and to refill your „power cells“. Therefore I would highly recommand such a spa real estate (but frankly said – you have the same effect if you just go into nature). But on the other side if you live on such high standards being pampered every day, I think it is getting harder and harder to enjoy a real holiday than. The ordinary people percive the term holiday as something special, a break from their routine. They are working hard all year round to get some quality time they normally don’t have. 

What are the consequenes for the spa industry if such real estate become „ordinary life“? Very hard to imagine… 

What do you think?

Text written by Petra Gangl (Tourismusverband St. Georgen im Attergau, Austria)